Select your baby’s birth date or your due date.
The multiple challenges of the ageing population
1. What exactly is ageing?
CHARACTERISTICS OF AGEING
- ● Progressive loss of physiological integrity
- ● Loss of quality of life and frailty
CAUSES OF AGEING
2 major causes of aging can be identified: oxidative processes1 and inflammation2.
- ● Oxidative stress can damage cells, proteins, and DNA, which contributes to ageing.
- ● Low grade inflammation contributes to the patho-genesis of age-related diseases and is stimulated by pathogens, diet, psychological stress, pollutants, damaged cells and the intestinal microbiota.2,3
2. The world population is ageing
Today, for the first time in history, most people in the world can expect to live well into their sixties and beyond. Since 2020, the number of people aged 65 and older has outnumbered children younger than 54. By 2050, the world population aged 60 and older is expected to reach 2 billion, up from 900 million in 2015.
3. People worldwide are living longer but the extra years are not always spent in good health
The ageing of the population raises many challenges. Indeed, although people are living longer, the additional years of life are not always spent in good health. Large percentages of patients with chronic illnesses are found among citizens aged 60 and over5. Also, disease burden increases with age for mild cognitive impairments, as well as other physical health issues (for example, heart disease, arthritis and osteoporosis, muscle mass and strength loss). Thus, it is essential to reduce the impending burden of disease6 with prevention strategies.
4. Promoting healthy ageing for seniors through adequate nutrition
Nutrition is key to maintain seniors in good health, as long as possible. It effectively allows us to act on essential age-related problems, such as brain health, muscle mass and bone health. Certain foods and nutrients have beneficial effects on the body (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory profiles, prebiotic functions). Regarding nutrients, these include good fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and fibers among other ingredients.